How to use get_iplayer
get_iplayer is a tool for downloading TV and Radio shows from the BBC iPlayer. I want to use it to get the latest Gilles Peterson show, and download it onto a folder on my machine.
Run a search for Gilles Peterson's shows:
get_iplayer --type=radio "Gilles Peterson"
- This returns a list of the 5 latest shows with their corresponding IDs e.g. Gilles Peterson - Words & Music From Pino Palladino, BBC Radio 6 Music, m000t5dn where m000t5dn is the ID.
How to download this show
320k quality -- this would be a massive 458MB so not going with this.
get_iplayer --pid=m000t5dn --radiomode=best
is a lower quality 96k - much more reasonable at 130.31MB
get_iplayer --pid=m000t5dn --radiomode=good
How to: Download the latest version of get_iplayer
- Full instructions for Macos are here
- Navigate to https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer_macos/releases and grab the latest MacOS version
- Download and then ctrl+click the installer as the installer is not signed.
- Update the cache by running
get_iplayer --refresh --type=tv,radio
if only want radio.
get_iplayer --refresh --type=radio